Accreditation of observer organizations
The Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) recognizes that the involvement and participation of the civil society is vital to the successful implementation of this Convention. It therefore welcomes the contribution of civil society organizations (CSOs), with particular regard to non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and including business and industry entities, to the official meetings of the UNCCD.
In accordance with Article 22, paragraph 7 of the UNCCD and Rule 7 of the rules of procedure of the COP, representatives from any body or agency, whether national or international, governmental or non-governmental, may be admitted to participate in the proceedings of the Convention’s bodies under the conditions that the organization:
- is qualified in matters covered by the Convention;
- has informed the UNCCD secretariat of its wish to participate
Apply for accreditation as an observer:
Accreditation of business and industry entities to the Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
By its decision 5/COP.10, the COP decided to grant observer status and participation in official meetings of the governing bodies of the UNCCD to those business and industry entities that:
- Have expressed interest in participating in meetings of the Conference of the Parties and its subsidiary bodies;
- Have specific expertise in matters relating to the Convention; and
- Participate in the United Nations Global Compact.
Accreditation guidance note
For further information on the accreditation process, please contact: