Drought is widely recognized as a slow creeping natural hazard that occurs as a consequence of natural climatic variability, but not many people know how to manage drought by mitigating its effect on people and eco-systems.
UNCCD, in partnership with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and others is organizing the High-level Meeting on National Drought Policy (HMNDP) from 11-15 March in Geneva, Switzerland.
The HMNDP will start with a half day opening plenary (with a major keynote address) followed by three days of scientific segment. During the scientific segment, a series of side events are planned. Organizations/participants are invited to organize a side event on the following topics.
- Drought Monitoring, Early Warning and Information Systems
- Drought Prediction and Predictability
- Drought Preparedness and Mitigation
- Drought Vulnerability and Impact Assessment
- Planning for Appropriate Drought Response and Relief
- Examples of National Drought Policies
The deadline for submissions is 31 January 2013. Deadline extended until 15 February
Further information is available at the meeting website.