At COP8, held in Madrid in September 2007, the Parties to the Convention adopted the 10-year strategic plan and framework to enhance the implementation of the Convention for 2008-2018 (The Strategy). The Strategy contains the “strategic objectives” to be achieved over the 10 years, and the “operational objectives” that guide the actions of short and medium-term effects.
The COP decision on The Strategy (Decision 3/COP.8 ) requests the Parties to operationalize the implementation of The Strategy, inter alia, by addressing the outcomes under the five operational objectives outlined in the same.
Further, Parties are requested to report on progress made with their implementation of The Strategy, while the Committee for the Review of the Convention (CRIC) is given the responsibility of reviewing its implementation based on the reports by Parties, as well as those from other reporting entities.
The Vision of the Strategy
The vision behind the 10 year Strategic plan is outlined in the same as follows:
The strategic objectives are:
- To improve the living conditions of affected populations
- To improve the condition of affected ecosystems
- To generate global benefits through effective implementation of the UNCCD
- To mobilize resources to support implementation of the Convention through building effective partnerships between national and international actors
The Mission of the Strategy
The mission of the 10 year Strategic Plan is as follows:
The Operational Objectives which are to support the attainment of the vision and Strategic Objectives of The Strategy are:
- Advocacy, awareness raising and education
- Policy framework
- Science, technology and knowledge
- Financing and technology transfer