The UNCCD secretariat is currently undertaking a validation process of Roster of Experts. National Focal Points are invited to confirm which of their experts currently in the roster are to remain as well as to nominate new experts by 31 March 2014. As per decision 26/COP.11, experts whose names have not been confirmed will be removed from the Roster.Background
The Roster of independent Experts has been established in accordance with article 24, paragraph 2, of the Convention
. It is maintained and managed by the UNCCD Secretariat.
The purpose of the roster is to provide the COP with an up-to-date list of independent experts in the various fields of specialization relating to combating desertification and mitigating the effects of drought, from which members of ad hoc panels
may be selected.
The roster includes over 1900 independent experts from 94 parties (as per June 2013).Nomination of experts
The roster is based on nominations received from Parties, taking into account the need for a multidisciplinary approach and broad geographical representation.
To become a member of the roster, an expert must fill the form
and send it to the respective National Focal Point
, which will take care of the official transmission to the UNCCD Secretariat.Update of the Roster
The roster is updated on a regular basis by the UNCCD secretariat, in order to ensure that information on single experts is reported correctly.
If you are an expert and you want to update your data, please inform your National Focal Point.Access to the Roster
To find detailed information on all the experts nominated by a single country, you must first select the country
from this page. Once the information page of the country is displayed, you can click on Roster of Experts under National Contacts.Relevant documentsParagraph 2 of Article 24 of the Convention
provides that: "The Conference of the Parties shall establish and maintain a roster of independent experts with expertise and experience in the relevant fields. The roster shall be based on nominations received in writing from the Parties, taking into account the need for a multidisciplinary approach and broad geographical representation." Decision 18/COP.1
outlines that the purpose of the roster is to provide the COP with an up-to-date list of independent experts in the various fields of specialization relating to combating desertification and mitigating the effects of drought, from which members of ad hoc panels may be selected.
provided further guidance on the maintenance and evolution of the roster. Specifically:
- Submissions by experts and updates will be made electronically
- The Secretariat will also have to perform a validation process for experts currently in the roster by 31 March 2014, removing automatically all the experts whose names have not been confirmed
- The Secretariat will have to set-up web-based facilities to manage applications and updates
- The secretariat is committed to “to involve the experts on the roster in the various activities of the UNCCD, including participation in working groups, surveys and peer reviews as appropriate”
- Parties are invited to “involve the experts on the roster in local, national, regional and global activities related to the implementation of the Convention, including in the validation of best practices” and to “involve experts in the promotion of relationships and networks with the scientific community at local, national, regional and global level, with the support of national focal points.