|Expert Name||Prof. Eric Van Ranst
|Title||Professor and Director
|Division||Laboratory of Soil Science
|Institution||University of Gent
|Telephone||32 9 2644626/4638
|Work Experience||1. 1976-1982: Gent University, Belgium. From research associate to assistant and deputy chief of the Laboratory for Soil Analyses, Dept. for Regional Pedology, Geological Institute.
2. 1982-1985: National Advanced School of Agriculture, Yaoundé, Cameroon. From consultant in soil survey to lecturer and qualified research associate.
3. 1985-1990: Dschang University Centre, Dschang, Cameroon. From consultant to associate professor and qualified research associate.
4. 1990-now: Gent University, Belgium.
- Senior Lecturer (appointed in 1991) and Full Professor (promoted in 1996).
- Director of the Laboratory of Soil Science.
- Academic Secretary of the International Training Centre for Post-Graduate Soil Scientists.
- Member of the Commission of Experts of the Flemish Interuniversity Council.
- Responsible for the distribution of information on the Belgian soil maps.
- Director of the "Forest Soil Coordinating Centre" (FSCC) of the UN/ECE ICP Forests.
- Chairman of the "For
|Qualifications||- 1976: M.Sc. in Geology (summa cum laude), University of Gent.
- 1979: M.Sc. in Soil Science (summa cum laude) , University of Gent.
- 1979: Certificate "Advanced Chemical Methods for Soil and Clay Minerals Research", NATO Advanced Study Institute, University of Illinois, USA.
- 1980: Certificate "Soil Survey and Land Evaluation in Tropical Countries", University of Gent.
- 1981: Ph.D. in Soil Science (summa cum laude), University of Gent.
|Number of Publications||290
|Awards||1983: Laureate of Inter-University Competition (summa cum laude), Ministry of National Education and Flemish Culture, Belgium.
1994: "PEDOMETRICS-92 Award" of the International Soil Science Society for the paper: "Testing of fuzzy set theory in land suit
|Other Activities||Member of the following societies:
- International Society of Soil Science
- Belgian Society of Soil Science
- American Society of Soil Science
- African Society of Soil Science
- West- and Central African Society of Soil Science
- French Soil Science Society
- Belgian Contact Group on Clays
Collaboration in scientific journals:
- Member of the Editorial Board of the "Cameroon Journal of Agricultural Sciences" (Ministry of Higher Education, Computer Sciences and Scientific Research), Cameroon.
- Member of the Editorial Board of "PEDON" - Newsletter for Alumni and Staff of the International Training Centre for Post-Graduate Soil Scientists, University of Gent.
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Geoderma".
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Etude et Gestion des Sols" (Association Française pour l'Etude du Sol).
- Reviewer of scientific publications for Pedologie, Catena, Geoderma, Soil Science, European Journal of Soil Science and for the Longman Group.
|Publications||Author and co-author of 9 books, about 92 scientific papers in international and national journals, about 90 abstracts in proceedings and congress transactions, and about 100 technical reports in the field of soil science.
|Discipline||Natural Resource Management
|Last updated||15/01/2007 19:29:00