|Expert Name||Dr. Tewold Berhan Gebre Egziabher
|Institution||Environmental Protection Authority
|Telephone||251 1 181658
|Work Experience||July 1963-July 1964: Graduate assistant, Department of Biology, Addis Ababa (then Haile Selassie I) University.
July 1964-July 1966: Assistant lecturer, same institution as above.
Nov. 1969-Sept. 1974: Assistant Professor, same institution as above.
Oct. 1974-July 1978: Dean, Faculty of Science, Addis Ababa University.
Aug. 1978-Aug. 1983: Associate Professor of Biology, senior person in plant ecology and conservation; Keeper of National Herbarium; supervised the thesis projects of 5 M.Sc. students in plant ecology; Department of Biology, same institution as above.
1978-1982: Working part time with the Ethiopian Science and Technology Commission as Leader of the IDRC-UNU sponsored research project "Research and Development in Rural Seettings".
1980-1996: Project Leader "Ethiopian Flora Project", (jointly funded by the Swedish Agency for Research Cooperation with Developing Countries and the Ethiopian Government).
August 1983-May 1991: President, Asmara University.
|Qualifications||Sept. 1959-July 1963, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia B.Sc. degree.
Oct. 1966-Nov. 1969, School of Plant Biology, University of North Wales, Bangor, Caems., UK Working on health communities of Anglesea. Ph.D. awarded.
|Number of Publications||34
|Awards||1963: Chancellor's Gold Medal for best graduate in the Faculty that year.
|Other Activities||- Ethiopian Science and Technology Council, member, 1978-1983.
- Plant Genetic Resources Center/Ethiopia Council, member, 1980-1983.
- SINET. an Ethiopian Journal of Science, Editor, 1978-1983.
- Institute of Ethiopian Studies Journal, editorial board member, 1978-1983.
- British Ecological Society, member, 1978 - to date.
- Svenska Vaxtgeografiska Sallskapet, honorary member, 1985 - to date.
- Executive Committee Member, Association of Eastern and Southern African Univesities, 1985-1991.
- Ethio-Soviet Biological Expedition Council, member and editor, May 1987 - to date.
- Scientific Council Member for the International Center for Theoretical and Applied Ecology (C.E.T.A.), Gorizia, Italy, 1990 to date.
- Fellow of the Linnean Society of London, 1995 to date.
Involvement in the International Environment Scene: Co-Chairman and editor, Committee that wrote the Ethiopian Country Report for the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), 1991-92. Memb
|Publications||1. Transitional Government of Ethiopia, National Conservation Strategy Secretariat, 1994. National Conservation Strategy Volume II. National Policy on Natural Resources and the Environment. Ministry of Natural Resources Development and Environmental Protection. 98pp.
2. Tewolde Berhan Gebre Egziabher, 1994. The Convention on Biological Diversity, Intellectual Property Rights and the Interests of the South. In: Vandana Shiva (ed.), Biodiversity Conservation: whose resources? whose knowledge? Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage, New Delhi: 198-215.
3. Tewolde Berhan Gebre Egziabher, 1995. Questions ambientals vistes des d'una perspetiva del Sud. In: Luis Angel Fernandez Hermana (ed.), El medi ambient vist pel Sud. Beta Editorial, S.A., Barcelona: 101-158.
4. Tewolde Berhan Gebre Egziabher, 1997. Biodiversity Conservation, Government Policy and Development Aid in Ethiopia. Report prepared for the Ethiopian Wildlife and Natural History Society.
|Last updated||27/07/2011 12:36:00