Out of concern that “desertification and drought are problems of global dimension in that they affect all regions of the world,” the international community adopted the Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) in Paris on 17 June 1994.
On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Convention and the World Day to Combat Desertification in 2019 (#2019WDCD), we will look back and celebrate the 25 years of progress made by countries on sustainable land management. At the same time, we will look at the broad picture of the next 25 years where we will achieve land degradation neutrality. What do we envisage in the world in which land degradation neutrality provides a solid basis for poverty reduction, food and water security and climate change mitigation and adaptation?
The anniversary campaign will run under the slogan "Let's grow the future together," with the global observance of WDCD and the 25th anniversary of the Convention on 17 June 2019 in Ankara, hosted by the government of Turkey. Find out more on the host country's event website.
How can YOU help celebrate 25 years of UNCCD and promote the importance on land-based sustainable development?
- Organize an event to promote sustainable land management (SLM) and land degradation neutrality (LDN), online or offline
- Use existing events or activities to promote SLM and LDN
- Send your event details to email@example.com or use this form to add your event to the world map
- Use the official 2019 WDCD campaign materials at events
- Share the social media material with the new theme every two weeks between March and June
- Take selfie photos/video (< 30 seconds) with the campaign materials and share them on your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Weibo accounts. Remember to tag @UNCCD and #2019WDCD
- Record a selfie video using campaign key messages in your own language and in a creative way
- Follow us, share, like our #2019WDCD posts or tweets on Twitter, Facebook, Weibo and Instagram
- Participate in a 2019 WDCD event
- Participate in the 2019 WDCD photo contest. The deadline is 28 May 2019