Annex IV: Northern Mediterranean
The lands around the Mediterranean Sea (the Mediterranean Basin) form the largest of the five world regions subjected to a Mediterranean climate – long, warm to hot, dry summers and mild to cool, wet winters. These climatic conditions make the Mediterranean vegetation (woodlands, scrubs and grasslands) well adapted to survive dry conditions and to recover from droughts, floods and fires. Yet, land degradation and desertification do occur in croplands, rangelands and woodlands in the Mediterranean Basin.
The Regional Implementation Annex IV offers opportunities for an effective national action in the Northern Mediterranean Region. The Annex involves 12 affected country members and three observers. Seven of the affected countries are members of the European Union, all but two (Portugal and Hungary) are within the Mediterranean Basin, and all but one (Albania) have drylands. In four affected countries, drylands cover most of the territory.
Northern Mediterranean regional cooperation
In 2011 the members of Annex IV identified priorities for five subprograms of the regional work programme for 2012-2013.
- Aligning existing NAPs with the 10-year Strategy
- Generating a roadmap for further developing Annex IV regional action programme (RAP)
- Exploring options for regional projects
- Regional testing of the impact indicators adopted by the Conference of the Parties (COP)
- Exploring the possibilities for cooperation with other countries of the Mediterranean Basin and with the Central and Eastern European countries
Contact the Regional Coordinating Unit (RCU) for the Northern Mediterranean
Tarım ve Orman Bakanlığı 1. Bölge Müdürlüğü
Büyükdere Caddesi No: 265
Fatih Ormanı Kampüsü Maslak / Sarıyer ,
Istanbul - TURKEY
Mr. Mustafa Yurtoglu
- Regional Liaison Officer
- 00 90 212 262 57 56 / 1444